Impossible Things Before Breakfast

A blog about having a baby, writing a book, and other impossible things.

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Making a drama out of an identity crisis

When I think about my friends I often think about the characteristics they have which I would like for myself. I define myself by them and by what I lack in comparison. So I envy my sister's artistic talent, Georgie's integrity and practicality, Sophie's compassion and motivation, Simon's career success, George's mental ability, Cat's emotional openness, Clarissa's creative energy, Wags' intellectual curiosity, Anna's fearlessness...

I was hit by the realisation this morning that I would probably be happier if I just appreciated and admired my friends instead of comparing myself unfavourably with them. And if I spent more time taking pleasure in the fact that all these great people have chosen to be friends with ME.

I might still be a way off from finding and being comfortable with my own identity, but it's a start. (And the above post may not seem to have anything to do with writing, or parenting, or anything, but I don't think I can regain my voice as a writer until I have regained some confidence as a person.)

Weeks: 16+1

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home