Impossible Things Before Breakfast

A blog about having a baby, writing a book, and other impossible things.

Thursday, August 31, 2006

On the spot

Panic. I'm reading one of my poems to a class of Chinese students in an hour's time, as a favour to their tutor. I hadn't thought much of it, just that I would read the poem and they'd maybe ask what bits meant and whether there was more story behind the poem etc. But I've just been given a sheet of questions they've prepared (two sides' worth!) and the first one is 'In your view, does your poem resemble the poetry of the contemporary Chinese Misty poets?' Er, well it may do but I couldn't possibly say as - to my shame - I have no idea who the Chinese Misty poets are. Can't you just ask me why my poems don't rhyme or something instead? Why did I agree to this?

[OK, a quick bit of research (thank heavens for the internet) tells me that the Misty poets rebelled against the officially sanctioned poetic ideology, so given that there IS no officially sanctioned poetic ideology to rebel against in this country, or at least not one that a 12-line poem about insomnia presents a challenge to, I will have to answer no to that particular question.]

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Matt said...

You should have asked, I taught a seminar on them last semester!

11:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home