Impossible Things Before Breakfast

A blog about having a baby, writing a book, and other impossible things.

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Body image

There's nothing like pregnancy to highlight the extent to which you feel your physical appearance defines your identity. Throughout my entire adult life to date I have had an image of myself as a person with small breasts, slim hips and a stomach that although not flat can be relatively easily kept in check by reducing the number of cakes I eat. I don't think about my body type very much but I do, I suppose, try to choose clothes to suit it. My weight fluctuates, but only between a size 10 and a size 12.

I knew that my body could theoretically change, but I always thought in terms of changes that I could control through diet and exercise. And yet here I am facing the most dramatic change of all and I have no control whatsoever. Pregnancy is turning me into my own opposite: big boobs, big hips, big stomach. Despite being stupidly unprepared for this, I haven't minded it much. I am changing on the inside and it's only right that I change on the outside too. If nothing else it's been a glimpse into the sartorial options of the big and busty, and it's probably the only time I'll be regarding a growing stomach with pride and excitement instead of depression and anxiety.

My friend A, on the other hand, is at three months pregnant saying a heartwrenching goodbye to her skinny Miss Sixty jeans and her size 10 Benetton suits. But which body is really her? The willowy pre-pregnancy version or the swelling pregnant one? Both? For me, it's case of still feeling like myself, but a self that isn't the same any more.

Weeks: 20

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home